MajGen Matthew C. Horner Chair of Military Theory, Marine Corps University
- Curricula Director, Program on Terrorism and Security Studies, George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies, Garmisch Germany, 2007-2010 [including 18 months as PTSS Executive Director].
- Kim. T. Adamson Chair of Insurgency & Terrorism, Marine Corps University, Quantico, VA, 2005-2007.
- Professor of International Relations, Command and Staff College, Marine Corps University, 1993-2005.
- Dr. Harmon has had 21 years of teaching security studies, strategy, military theory & history, and courses on terrorism at six graduate schools, including a division of National Defense University, and the Naval War College.
- Academic and Research Fellowships include: Earhart Foundation; Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace; Claremont Institute.
- Legislative Aide, Foreign Policy, U.S. House of Representatives
Dr. Harmon is the author of Terrorism Today, co-author of Toward a Grand Strategy Against Terrorism, and co-editor of Statecraft and Power. His article "Spain's ETA Terrorist Group is Dying" was published in the geopolitics journal ORBIS in Fall 2012.
- B.A., History, and French Language [double-major; summa cum laude], Seattle University, Seattle, Washington, 1977.
- M.A. in Government, Claremont Graduate School, Claremont, California, 1984.
- Ph.D., International Relations and Government, Claremont Graduate School, Claremont, California, 1984.
PublicationsRemembering 23 October
Anarchism & Fire in London: A Centenary
Public diplomacy's next challenge
BooksA Citizen's Guide to Terrorism and Counterterrorism
Toward a Grand Strategy Against Terrorism