Senior Adviser for the Special Operations Integration Group, SOCOM/NCR
S. John Tsagronis is Senior Adviser for the Special Operations Integration Group of U.S. Special Operations Command/National Capital Region (SOCOM/NCR).
He is also Professor of Statecraft and National Security Affairs at The Institute of World Politics in Washington, D.C. where he teaches graduate courses on the U.S. National Security Policy Process, on the uniquely American approach to counterinsurgency, on Emerging Threats and U.S. National Security Strategy, and on Cyber Statecraft.
Prof. Tsagronis was formerly a Senior Prinicpal at SRA International, a company which provides technology and services to support homeland security, defense, and global health.
He was formerly Vice President and Director for National Security Strategy and Execution Support in the Defense Solutions Group of
Immediately prior to joining the NSC Staff, he was the Senior Director for Security Programs in the State Department’s Bureau for Foreign Assistance where he managed the political-military portfolio together with representatives from State, Defense and the Joint Staff. Previously, he served as the Deputy Assistant Administrator for Policy at the U.S. Agency for International Development where he was responsible for the policy and program oversight of the Agency’s efforts in the global war on terrorism, coordination on counterinsurgency policy with other U.S. Government officials, and liaison with international donors on matters of interest to U.S. national security.
Before joining President Bush’s Administration in December 2001, Mr. Tsagronis spent 17 years providing analytical and policy support to the Department of Defense and the U.S. Intelligence Community on counterinsurgency, counterterrorism, asymmetric warfare, and homeland security from various positions he held in the private sector, academic and think tank communities. His work in counterinsurgency these last 25 years has brought him to nearly 50 countries ranging from Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan to the Philippines, Nepal, Cambodia, Colombia and Peru.
Mr. Tsagronis is a student of Bates College and the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy. He is a long-standing member of the International Institute for Strategic Studies and a Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society, both in London. He was born in Ohio, grew up in New England, and now resides in Virginia with his wife and two daughters.
- Senior Adviser for the Special Operations Integration Group of U.S. Special Operations Command/National Capital Region (SOCOM/NCR)
- Formerly Senior Prinicpal, SRA International
- Formerly Vice President, Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC).
- Formerly Senior Director for Policy Implementation, National Security Council;
- Deputy Assistant Administrator, Office of Foreign Assistance, U.S. Department of State;
- Deputy Assistant Administrator, U.S. Agency for International Development; and
- Senior Analyst, National Security Research, Inc.
- B.S., Political Science, Bates College
- H.B. Earhart Scholar, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University
Crisis Management and Decisionmaking
National Security Policy Process
U.S. Approaches to Irregular Warfare
U.S. National Security Strategy and Emerging Threats