The Institute of World Politics is a graduate school of national security and international affairs, dedicated to developing leaders with a sound understanding of international realities and the ethical conduct of statecraft, based on knowledge and appreciation of the founding principles of the American political economy and the Western moral tradition.
IWP's institutional objectives are:
- To provide useful education to current and future professionals in the fields of statecraft, national security, and international affairs, especially that which meets the needs of U.S. foreign affairs, defense, intelligence and commercial agencies, and companies that are involved in: defense, intelligence, and foreign aid contracting; international commerce; and the protection of their intellectual property;
- To deepen understanding of all instruments of statecraft, so that their effective integrated use can defend national interests and minimize the need to use force;
- To emphasize the study of the founding principles of the American political-economic system and their relevance to current statecraft;
- To increase awareness of political realities that may affect U.S. security and world peace;
- To emphasize the importance of the ideas and belief systems that animate different political cultures, their forms of statecraft and their foreign policy purposes;
- To cultivate a spirit of service and civic duty among our students, inspiring them to recognize that there are causes higher than oneself, and that service to others and to a cause such as peace with freedom and justice is an honorable and ultimately fulfilling career path;
- To teach our students how to become effective communicators with well-developed writing and rhetorical skills; and
- To teach our students to think in an integrated, strategic fashion.