LinkedIn tracking pixel

International Applicants

Welcome, international students!

IWP has been pleased to welcome students from approximately 60 countries to study national security and international affairs in Washington, D.C. We value the experience that you bring to our classrooms, and we look forward to working with you as you pursue professional education and prepare to advance in your career.

For general guidance on graduate studies in the United States, international students can contact an EducationUSA advising center. EducationUSA is the U.S. State Department’s network of over 400 advising centers in 170 countries around the world. These centers are designed to assist international students as they prepare to apply to and attend colleges and universities in the United States.

Application procedures

International applicants follow the same application procedures and deadlines as U.S. citizens. For more information, see Admissions Process.

International transcripts must be official copies. Transcripts that are not in English must be translated into English using a professional service. Also, international transcripts must be certified by a transcript evaluation service approved by NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services). View the full list of approved members.


IWP offers a number of merit-based scholarships for selected students (U.S. and international). More information about these and other scholarships can be found on our Scholarships Page.

Loans for International Students

Student Visas & Social Security Cards

The Institute provides information and assistance to admitted international students in need of F-1 student visas (provided that they meet eligibility requirements). International students should contact the Registrar’s Office (202-462-2101) or the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement ( for information on the various requirements for a student visa. All international students must complete the I-20 Request Form and mail this form to the Registrar.

Additional information about how to apply for a student visa can be found here EducationUSA – Apply_For_Your_Student_Visa.

International students in need of a social security card may apply online ( but will need to visit a local Social Security Administration office to complete the process. The Washington, D.C. office is located at 2100 M Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20037. Phone: 800-772-1213.

IWP Alumni from Around the Globe