IWP Great Statesman Scholarships are awarded to outstanding prospective and current students at the discretion of the Institute’s Scholarship Committee based on application materials and/or the quality of scholarship of current students.
The Great Statesman Scholarship allows donors to name a scholarship for the statesman of their choice in consultation with IWP leadership, all while giving outstanding students the ability to complete their studies at the Institute.
This program is designed to allow IWP to compete for and attract the best graduate students from across America and around the world. In many cases, these scholarships will make the difference in whether a student will be able to pursue advanced educational preparation for professional work in the foreign policy and national security agencies of the U.S. government, as well as with relevant private sector companies and NGOs that contribute to the security of our Nation.
The concept of the Great Statesman Scholarship Program was introduced by IWP alumnus and former Trustee Michael Maibach and presented to the Board of Trustees on February 19, 2020. Mr. Maibach pledged to fund the first scholarship. IWP Board Chairman John Lovewell and Trustee General Raymond Odierno (ret.) followed with pledges to fund two more scholarships.
Scholarship Patrons commit to giving $10,000 per year for five years to their named scholarships. Each Scholarship will be awarded to a full-time student annually, with a $5,000 disbursement to the student each semester. If the awardee leaves IWP, or becomes a part-time student, his or her scholarship is forfeited.
Current Great Statesman Scholarships
- President Dwight Eisenhower Scholarship, established by Michael C. Maibach
- Commodore John Barry Scholarship, established by John and Cynthia Lovewell
- General Robert William Cone Scholarship, established by General and Mrs. Raymond T. Odierno (USA, Ret.)
- Dr. John Lenczowski Scholarship, established by Jacqueline and Bruce Wieland
- Margaret Thatcher Scholarship, established by Philip and Susanna Rice
- President Ronald Reagan Scholarship, established by Patricia Mozart
If you are interested in creating an IWP Great Statesman Scholarship, please contact John Bergholz at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call John at (202) 462-2101.