Articles

The IWP Internship Experience: Joanna Miller

Joanna Miller

My name is Joanna Miller, I am a junior at American University studying National Security and Foreign Policy with a minor in Mandarin Chinese Language, and am currently on the Cyber Intelligence Research Team at IWP. My internship experience overall at IWP has been life-changing, and has inspired me to do things that I would have never imagined myself doing. This is all because of the fact that IWP equips its students and interns for future careers in intelligence, national security, and more by learning how to think about international relations issues in their proper context, rather than the way we imagine them to be. Also, IWP emphasizes the importance of being leaders whose primary goal is to serve others first, rather than climb the career ladder. Students and interns are taught by professors and research practitioners who have had long-term careers in the U.S. Military, Central Intelligence Agency, U.S. Department of State, and more, who give students and interns hands-on experiences relevant to actual work in the fields of intelligence and national security.

On the Cyber Intelligence Research Team, I have had the privilege of working with another intern on a research project supervised by Dean Lane, the Senior Vice President of Cyber Intelligence, who is a retired U.S. Navy pilot who fought with the Special Forces in the Vietnam War, was the Chief Information Officer (CIO) of many companies, and author of #1 bestseller CIO Wisdom. Our project this semester utilized open source intelligence to analyze Chinese and Russian cyber capabilities and assess how a cyber war between China and Russia over the Central Asian oil sector could occur.

On top of the fantastic research experience I have had, the IWP community has been nothing but organized, helpful, and supportive from the very first day. As an intern, whether I was needing help setting up for an event, needed career advice, wanted to be partnered with an alumnus working in a field in which I am interested, and more, professors, staff, and students have never fallen short of ensuring I had what I needed to be the most successful. IWP truly is a hidden gem in Washington, D.C. and has given me the experience of a lifetime that I am proud to share with family and friends.