This course will examine the role of Islam in the geopolitics of the post-Soviet states. There are six countries in the region which already have a Muslim majority, a seventh — the Russian Federation — which will have a Muslim majority within a generation, and all of the others are affected either by the existence of Muslim enclaves within them — Ukraine and Moldova — or the flow of migrants from the Muslim regions of other states.
This survey course will look at each of these problems in turn and consider the nature of the foreign policy challenges they pose for the United States and the West more generally.
This course may be taken as a part of the following programs:
- Master of Arts in Statecraft and National Security Affairs
- Master of Arts in Statecraft and International Affairs
- Certificate in American Foreign Policy
- Certificate in Comparative Political Culture
- Certificate in International Politics
- Certificate in National Security Affairs
- Continuing Education Program