Requirements for Graduation
To be eligible for the degree, each M.A. student will be required to:
1. Complete the Application for Graduation (available on-line through Empower; there is a $250 fee to apply).
2. Have fulfilled all credit and course requirements for the degree. This includes completing all outstanding Incomplete grades (please contact Jason Johnsrud at email@example.com or 202-462-2101 if you have any questions);
3. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as outlined in the Catalog and Student Handbook (min. 3.00 GPA, etc.);
4. Pass the oral and written comprehensive examinations by April 20. If you intend to “walk” only at Commencement and finish your coursework this summer, you must also take your comps by April 20.
5. Pass a language proficiency exam (for the M.A. in Statecraft and International Affairs; there is a $100 fee for this exam); and
6. Complete Financial Aid Exit Counseling (contact TJ Snowden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-462-2101 x315).
7. Make sure all tuition and fee balances have been paid in full. Contact the Business Office at 202-462-2101 if you have any questions.
Open House for Graduates and Guests
Friday, September 11, 2020 (IWP’s Marlatt Mansion)
Saturday, September 12, 2020
Ceremony begins at 11:00 AM (graduates must arrive no later than 10:00 AM)
Reception begins at approximately 1:00 PM
Location: The Fairmont Hotel (downtown Washington, D.C.)
To request tickets, please contact Katie Bridges at email@example.com.
IWP has a limited room block at the Fairmont for the nights of May 14-16 for the rate of $299/night. Reservations may be made by calling 1-800-441-1414. The cutoff date for this room rate is April 16, 2020. Make sure you mention “The Institute of World Politics Commencement” when making the reservation.
If you and your guests plan to drive to the hotel, there is a garage at the hotel ($35 per day). On the day of Commencement, guests may get a sticker from the IWP registration table for reduced valet parking at the Fairmont ($25). There is also the US News Garage (managed by Colonial Parking) about one block north of the hotel at 1223 24th Street, NW ($14 per day). You may reserve a space at this garage by clicking here. Other parking options may be found here. The nearest Metro stop is Foggy Bottom (Orange/Blue line). This stop is about 4 blocks from the hotel.
Regalia will be provided one week before Commencement. Graduates may pick up their regalia at IWP during the week of September 7 or at the Open House for Graduates and Guests on Friday, September 11. Graduates will be able to claim their diploma upon returning the regalia, with package, to IWP.