Requirements for Graduation
To be eligible for the degree, each M.A. student will be required to:
1. Complete the Application for Graduation (available on-line through Empower; there is a $250 fee to apply).
2. Have fulfilled all credit and course requirements for the degree. This includes completing all outstanding Incomplete grades (please contact Jason Johnsrud at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-462-2101 if you have any questions);
3. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as outlined in the Catalog and Student Handbook (min. 3.00 GPA, etc.);
4. Pass the oral and written comprehensive examinations by April 20. If you intend to “walk” only at Commencement and finish your coursework this summer, you must also take your comps by April 20.
5. Pass a language proficiency exam (for the M.A. in Statecraft and International Affairs; there is a $100 fee for this exam); and
6. Complete Financial Aid Exit Counseling (contact TJ Snowden at email@example.com or 202-462-2101 x315).
7. Make sure all tuition and fee balances have been paid in full. Contact the Business Office at 202-462-2101 if you have any questions.
Cap and Gown Party for the Classes of 2020 and 2021
Come pick up your Cap and Gown and celebrate with your classmates!
Friday, May 7, 2021 (IWP’s Marlatt Mansion)
Further details TBA
Open House for Graduates and Guests
Bring your family/guests to see the IWP campus!
Friday, May 14, 2021 (IWP’s Marlatt Mansion)
Commencement for the Classes of 2020 and 2021
Saturday, May 15, 2021
Ceremony begins at 11:00 AM (graduates must arrive no later than 10:00 AM)
Reception begins at approximately 1:00 PM
Location: The Fairmont Hotel (downtown Washington, D.C.)
To request tickets, please contact Katie Bridges at firstname.lastname@example.org. Graduates are asked to bring no more than four guests, except in extenuating circumstances.
IWP has a limited room block at the Fairmont for the nights of May 13-15, 2021 for the rate of $349/night. Reservations may be made by calling 1-800-441-1414 or online, here. The cutoff date for this room rate is April 1, 2021. Make sure you mention “The Institute of World Politics Commencement” when making the reservation.
If you and your guests plan to drive to the hotel, there is a garage at the hotel ($35 per day). On the day of Commencement, guests may get a sticker from the IWP registration table for reduced valet parking at the Fairmont ($28). There is also the US News Garage (managed by Colonial Parking) about one block north of the hotel at 1223 24th Street, NW ($14 per day). You may reserve a space at this garage by clicking here. Other parking options may be found here. The nearest Metro stop is Foggy Bottom (Orange/Blue line). This stop is about 4 blocks from the hotel.
Regalia will be provided one week before Commencement. Graduates may pick up their regalia at the Cap and Gown Party on May 7, 2021 or at IWP during the week of May 10, 2021. Graduates will be able to claim their diploma upon returning the regalia, with package, to IWP.