Please note that, due to the pandemic, we are continuing to finalize arrangements for Commencement. Our priority is the health and safety of our community, and we will follow the public health guidelines from the District of Columbia. We look forward to celebrating the Classes of 2020 and 2021 as soon as it becomes possible.
Requirements for Graduation
To be eligible for the degree, each M.A. student will be required to:
1. Complete the Application for Graduation (available on-line through Empower; there is a $250 fee to apply).
2. Have fulfilled all credit and course requirements for the degree. This includes completing all outstanding Incomplete grades (please contact Jason Johnsrud at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions);
3. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as outlined in the Catalog and Student Handbook (min. 3.00 GPA, etc.);
4. Pass the oral and written comprehensive examinations. If you intend to “walk” only at the May 2021 Commencement and finish your coursework in Summer 2021, you must also take your comps by April 20.
5. Pass a language proficiency exam (for the M.A. in Statecraft and International Affairs; there is a $100 fee for this exam); and
6. Complete Financial Aid Exit Counseling (contact TJ Snowden at email@example.com).
7. Make sure all tuition and fee balances have been paid in full. Contact the Business Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Open House for Graduates and Guests
Bring your family/guests to see the IWP campus!
Friday, September 10, 2021 (IWP’s Marlatt Mansion)
Commencement for the Classes of 2020 and 2021
Saturday, September 11, 2021
Ceremony begins at 11:00 AM (graduates must arrive no later than 10:00 AM)
Reception begins at approximately 1:00 PM
Location: The Fairmont Hotel (downtown Washington, D.C.)
To request tickets, please contact Katie Bridges at email@example.com. Graduates are asked to bring no more than four guests, except in extenuating circumstances.
IWP has a limited room block at the Fairmont for the nights of September 9-11, 2021 for the rate of $259/night. Reservations may be made online or by calling 1-800-441-1414. The cutoff date for this room rate is August 11, 2021. Make sure you mention “The Institute of World Politics Commencement” when making the reservation.
If you and your guests plan to drive to the hotel, there is a garage at the hotel ($35 per day). There is also the US News Garage (managed by Colonial Parking) about one block north of the hotel at 1223 24th Street, NW ( approximately $20). You may reserve a space at this garage by clicking here. Other parking options may be found here. The nearest Metro stop is Foggy Bottom (Orange/Blue line). This stop is about 4 blocks from the hotel.
Regalia will be provided one week before Commencement. Graduates may pick up their regalia at IWP during the week of September 7, 2021. Graduates will be able to claim their diploma upon returning the regalia, with package, to IWP.