Requirements for Graduation
To be eligible for the degree, each M.A. student will be required to:
1. Complete the Application for Graduation (available on-line through Empower; there is a $250 fee to apply).
2. Have fulfilled all credit and course requirements for the degree. This includes completing all outstanding Incomplete grades (please contact Jason Johnsrud at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions);
3. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as outlined in the Catalog and Student Handbook (min. 3.00 GPA, etc.);
4. Pass the oral and written comprehensive examinations. If you intend to “walk” only at the May 2021 Commencement and finish your coursework in Summer 2021, you must also take your comps by April 20.
5. Pass a language proficiency exam (for the M.A. in Statecraft and International Affairs; there is a $100 fee for this exam); and
6. Complete Financial Aid Exit Counseling (contact TJ Snowden at email@example.com).
7. Make sure all tuition and fee balances have been paid in full. Contact the Business Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Open House for Graduates and Guests
If IWP’s campus is reopened for visitors, an open house for graduates and guests would take place on the evening of Friday, May 13, 2022 at IWP’s Washington, D.C. campus. Please stay tuned for additional details.
Commencement for the Class of 2022
Saturday, May 14, 2022
10:00 AM Graduates arrive (Graduates should arrive no later than 10:00 AM. Caps and gowns will be available at the hotel.)
Ceremony begins at 11:00 AM
Reception begins at approximately 1:00 PM
Location: The Fairmont Hotel (downtown Washington, D.C.)
2401 M St NW, Washington, DC 20037
To request tickets, please contact Katie Bridges at email@example.com.
IWP has a limited room block at the Fairmont for the nights of May 12-14, 2022 for the rate of $349/night. Reservations may be made online or by calling 1-800-441-1414. The cutoff date for this room rate is April 14, 2022. Make sure you mention “The Institute of World Politics Commencement” when making the reservation.
If you and your guests plan to drive to the hotel, there is a garage at the hotel ($35 per day). There is also the US News Garage (managed by Colonial Parking) about one block north of the hotel at 1223 24th Street, NW ( approximately $20). You may reserve a space at this garage by clicking here. Other parking options may be found here. The nearest Metro stop is Foggy Bottom (Orange/Blue line). This stop is about 4 blocks from the hotel.
Please stay tuned for information about picking up your regalia. Graduates will be able to claim their diploma upon returning the regalia, with package, to IWP. Graduates who already have their diplomas may simply return their regalia at the end of the ceremony.