SUMMER 2023 REQUIRED TEXTBOOKS
SESSION 1: May 8-June 29; SESSION 2: July 3-August 24 | Course Schedule
NOTE #1: Additional readings may be assigned by professors, such as course readers, handouts, and on-line articles.
NOTE #2: The books below are largely from Amazon.com. Other booksellers may also be used if it is more convenient and/or more cost effective to do so.
622 Comparative Intelligence Systems (Quattrocki)
- Castro’s Secrets: The CIA’s and Cuba’s Intelligence Machine
- The French Secret Service: From the Dreyfuss Affair to the Gulf War
- MI6: The History of the Secret Intelligence Service, 1909-1949
- Spies Against Armageddon: Inside Israel’s Secret Wars
- The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive and the Secret History of the KGB
- Tiger Trap: America’s Secret Spy War with China
- Additional articles will be assigned.
625 Peace, Strategy, and Conflict Resolution (Santoli)
- Accidental Superpower
- Breaking the Conflict Trap
- China’s Negotiating Behavior
- Exorcising the Ghost of Westphalia
- Five Days in London: May 1940
- Full Spectrum Diplomacy
- Prisoners of Geography
- Reagan’s War
- Unrestricted Warfare: China’s Master Plan to Destroy America
634 Geography and Strategy (Chodakiewicz)
- Battling the Elements: Weather and Terrain in the Conduct of War
- Concise Atlas of the World
- Course reader (available in IWP library)
650 Writing for National Security Professionals (Sano)
- No required readings for this class.
657 U.S. Approaches to Irregular Warfare (Tsagronis)
- Government documents will be made available online (no charge)
663 Cyber Statecraft (Tsagronis)
These books are strongly recommended only. You are not required to purchase them if their cost is prohibitive and your expected use of them is limited.
- The Hacker and the State: Cyber Attacks and the New Normal of Geopolitics
- The Fifth Domain: Defending Our Country, Companies and Ourselves in the Age of Cyber Threat
- The Perfect Weapon: War, Sabotage, and Fear in the Cyber Age
- The Big Nine: How the Tech Titans & Their Thinking Machines Could Warp Humanity
- Exploding Data: Reclaiming our Cyber Security in the Digital Age
- The Sentient Machine: The Coming Age of Artificial Intelligence
- LikeWar: The Weaponization of Social Media
687 U.S. Bilateral Security Agreements (Schroeder)
- Asian Maritime Strategies: Navigating Troubled Water
- Buying National Security: How America Plans and Pays for Its Global Role and Safety at Home (Chapter 4 only, available in IWP library)
- Lessons Encountered: Learning from the Long War
- Additional readings assigned will be available on-line or in the IWP library.