Requirements for Graduation
To be eligible for the degree, each M.A. student will be required to:
1. Complete the Application for Graduation (available on-line through Empower; there is a $250 fee to apply).
2. Have fulfilled all credit and course requirements for the degree. This includes completing all outstanding Incomplete grades (please contact Jason Johnsrud at email@example.com or 202-462-2101 if you have any questions);
3. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as outlined in the Catalog and Student Handbook (min. 3.00 GPA, etc.);
4. Pass the oral and written comprehensive examinations by April 20. If you intend to "walk" only at Commencement and finish your coursework this summer, you must also take your comps by April 20.
5. Pass a language proficiency exam (for the M.A. in Statecraft and International Affairs; there is a $100 fee for this exam); and
6. Complete Financial Aid Exit Counseling (contact TJ Snowden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-462-2101 x315).
7. Make sure all tuition and fee balances have been paid in full. Contact the Business Office at 202-462-2101 if you have any questions.
Cap and Gown Party
Friday, May 11, 2018 (IWP's Marlatt Mansion)
7:30 PM - Pre-reception for graduating students and alumni
8:00 PM - Reception
8:15 PM - Faculty panels
All students, graduates, and alumni are invited to attend with a guest.
Come pick up your cap and gown at this party co-sponsored by the Alumni Board and the Student Government Association!
Open House for Graduates and Guests
Friday, May 18, 2018 (IWP's Marlatt Mansion)
Saturday, May 19, 2018
Ceremony begins at 11:00 AM (graduates must arrive no later than 10:00 AM)
Reception begins at approximately 1:30 PM
Location: The Fairmont Hotel (downtown Washington, D.C.)
To request tickets, please contact Katie Bridges at email@example.com.
IWP has a limited room block at the Fairmont for the nights of May 17-19 for the rate of $249/night. Reservations may be made online or by calling 1-800-441-1414. The cutoff date for this room rate is April 19, 2018. Make sure you mention "The Institute of World Politics Commencement" when making the reservation.
If you and your guests plan to drive to the hotel, there is a garage at the hotel ($35 per day). There is also the US News Garage (managed by Colonial Parking) about one block north of the hotel at 1223 24th Street, NW ($11 per day). You may reserve a space at this garage by clicking here. Other parking options may be found here. The nearest Metro stop is Foggy Bottom (Orange/Blue line). This stop is about 4 blocks from the hotel.
Regalia will be provided one week before Commencement. Graduates must pick up their regalia at IWP at the Cap and Gown Party on May 11 or anytime before Friday, May 18 (it will not be available the day of graduation). Graudates will then be able to claim their diploma upon returning the regalia, with package, to IWP.