The Comparative Political Culture certificate is designed for students seeking an understanding of many of the political, ideological, religious, and cultural influences on the behavior of states around the world. This program will also provide background in the behavior of terrorist organizations and other non-state actors. Students will be prepared for careers in diplomacy and policymaking, and as analysts.
- IWP 606 Ideas and Values in International Politics
- IWP 640 Cultural Intelligence for Strategy and Analysis
Area-study courses (Two required)
- IWP 603 Russian Politics and Foreign Policy
- IWP 604 Islam and Geopolitics in Eurasia
- IWP 623 U.S.-Latin American Relations: Threats and Opportunities
- IWP 630 Chinese Grand Strategy: Foreign and Military Policy
- IWP 639 U.S.-African Relations
- IWP 645 Islam in Contemporary Global Politics
- IWP 653 The Contemporary Balkans
- IWP 658 Contemporary Conflict in the Greater Middle East
- IWP 671 The U.S.-China Strategic Relationship
- IWP 677 Chinese Military Thought and History
- IWP 680 Modern China
- IWP 685 The Turks: Relations with the MENA, Europe and America, Then and Now
- IWP 693A/B: The European Union
- IWP 694A/B: Intermarium: Politics and History of Central and Eastern Europe
Elective Courses (Choose one)
- IWP 613 History of International Relations
- IWP 614 Diplomacy Toward Comparative Regimes
- IWP 615 Western Moral Tradition and World Politics
- IWP 621 Stabilization and Nation-Building: History and Policy
- IWP 649 Mass Murder Prevention in Failed and Failing States
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of basic terms, concepts, history, and theories related to political culture.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the political, ideological, religious, and cultural influences on the behavior of states and non-state actors around the world.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to assess arguments, identify logical flaws, and obtain supporting or corrective information.
- Students will demonstrate the use of clear, effective and persuasive communications.