Internship Experience

The IWP Internship Experience: Ignacio Videla

Ignacio VidelaAs a junior at the George Washington University majoring in International Affairs with a concentration in Security Policy, I was looking for an internship that would set me up for a career in the national security field, provide me with useful professional experience, and allow me to make the best use of the limited amount of time I have left in my undergraduate career. The IWP internship exceeded my expectations in all three categories.

During my internship at IWP, I was part of a research team working with one of the top counterterrorism experts in the country to design a terrorism crisis simulation based on a “what-if” scenario involving a 9/11 “second wave” attack, which was an incredible insight into the intelligence, strategic planning, and critical thinking that forms part of crisis management. While there, I also attended a variety of fascinating national security-related lectures and events, including a private tour of the Pentagon. Through the internship program, I was able to audit a graduate-level course, Energy Security and the New Geopolitics of Energy, at no cost.

What I found most rewarding about my experience at IWP was the meaningful connections I made during my time there. It was gratifying to see how invested the staff is in you personally, from my direct supervisors to IWP’s president and former Director of European and Soviet Affairs for the National Security Council, Dr. John Lenczowski. Everyone always treated us with the utmost kindness, gratitude, and respect, while holding us to a high professional standard. At IWP, the effort you put it never goes unnoticed, and the staff works tirelessly to provide the interns with outstanding professional opportunities, connections, career counseling, and meaningful experiences. What I have learned and the people I was placed in contact with during my time at IWP will prove invaluable to my future. This is an experience that I cannot recommend highly enough to anyone interested in policy, international affairs, or national security.

Ignacio Videla
Fall 2019
GW Class of 2021

Learn more about IWP internships

Interns on Pentagon Tour, Fall 2019
Interns on a tour of the Pentagon led by an IWP alumna.