Internship Experience

The IWP Internship Experience: Christopher F. Healey

Christopher F. Healey HeadshotMy internship at The Institute of World Politics (IWP) has been challenging and thought-provoking. I first heard of IWP through family friends and was eager to intern at a graduate school dedicated to preparing students to confront the most pressing national security challenges facing the U.S.

The class audit and research experiences exposed me to new ideas and granted me opportunities to develop my research, writing, and critical thinking skills. This summer, I chose to focus on energy and audited the course “Energy Security and the New Geopolitics of Energy” taught by Dr. Sara Vakhshouri, who also served as an advisor on my research project, which covered Taiwan’s energy security. As a recent graduate from a small liberal arts school (Kenyon College), the opportunity to engage in master’s level research on a pressing topic in international affairs was the highlight of my IWP experience and pushed me to grow intellectually while building upon the skills I developed as an undergrad.

Moreover, the opportunity to work with the events team allowed me to enhance my communication and writing abilities while learning other useful skills. For example, in addition to drafting write-ups of webinars to publish on IWP’s website, I designed thumbnails for IWP YouTube videos using the artistic platform Canva.

I truly enjoyed connecting with other interns and learning from IWP professors and alumni during lecture lunches. IWP also offers interns excellent networking events to make connections and learn how to navigate the complexity of D.C. Interns are given the opportunity to work with IWP’s exceptional career coach, Mr. Derrick Dortch, who has gone above and beyond in helping me prepare my job applications for competitive research positions.

I am grateful to IWP for extending to me the opportunity to intern this summer, and I look forward to capitalizing on future opportunities that this experience will have thoroughly prepared me for.

Christopher F. Healey

Learn more about IWP internships