Internship Experience

The IWP Internship Experience: Amelia Whiteley

I knew interning with The Institute of World Politics would be a unique opportunity that would allow me to experience first-hand all its vast connections in the counterintelligence community. However, I did not expect the extent to which this internship has enhanced my knowledge and passion for national security or the incredible and accepting community that is IWP.

Despite my internship’s remote nature, due to the Coronavirus, my time at IWP has been my most rewarding and enlightening work experience to date. I had the fantastic opportunity to work with IWP’s Events and Communications staff under Director Katie Bridges. I have never been part of a more hard-working team and am so grateful for all the experience I have gained because of their support. I knew that every task I received was meaningful and contributed to the sharing and acquiring of global knowledge of IWP students, alumni, and the general population.

My most notable project was performing research for the Military Friendly Survey, which designates an academic institution as supportive and understanding of its military and veteran students. I learned so much about the hardships military students face and how institutions can improve their relationships with these students. In addition to the Military Friendly Survey, I proofread publications, performed audits, navigated Zoom and Eventbrite, and did many more crucial skill-building tasks. I also had the opportunity to go to many of IWP’s lectures and events. These webinars gave me access to the knowledge of incredible individuals and allowed me to interact with IWP faculty, such as Dr. John Lenczowski, IWP’s founder and president. During my internship, I have realized how dedicated IWP and its staff are to their mission of crafting a new generation of leaders in matters of statecraft and international relations.

Interning with IWP also gave me access to its fantastic and prolific career services program directed by Derrick Dortch. Mr. Dortch took time out of his busy schedule to help me identify specific career goals and create a personalized game plan for entering the national security sector. His dedication to IWP’s students and interns has blown me away; he helped us craft competitive resumes, network in our desired fields, and gave us access to informative literature about the intelligence community.

Overall, my time at IWP continued to exceed my expectations. Every experience I have had further adds to my belief that IWP is an outstanding example of an academic institution that treats its staff, faculty, and students like family.

Amelia Whiteley
Fall 2020

Learn more about IWP internships