LinkedIn tracking pixel

The IWP Internship Experience: Elijah McKay

Elijah McKay

When looking back at my time at The Institute of World Politics, I will remember it as a highly instructive time during which the Institute imparted to me a great deal of knowledge while asking little in return. I will always be grateful for that.

The research that I did for Professor Paul Schilling gave me the chance to learn more than I had ever known before about the United States’ clearance process and about areas where it could use reform. This is not research I would have had any reason to ever conduct on my own, and it was a real pleasure to do.

Additionally, the opportunity to learn from the experience of speakers at our intern lecture lunches was exceptional. Without exception, they were impressive, professional men and women who willingly gave up three hours of their day to impart their knowledge to us, and I can say that I learned a great deal from all of them.

In exchange for all of this, I was asked only to provide a couple days’ worth of support to IWP’s Development Department. I can say that my supervisor, Ms. Sade Nixon, was an excellent boss who was a real pleasure to work for, and the work taught me more about what fundraising looks like for an institution such as IWP than I had ever known before.

I will always look back on this time fondly.

Elijah McKay
Intern, Summer 2024
Graduate of Ashland University

Learn More About IWP Internships