LinkedIn tracking pixel

The IWP Internship Experience: Safia Karimi

Safia Karimi

During the spring semester, I was a research and recruitment intern at The Institute of World Politics (IWP) while concurrently attending classes at The Citadel. My research responsibilities involved collaborating with Dr. Saba Sattar, focusing on the Chinese Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) projects in Afghanistan and Pakistan and evaluating the success of the Chinese government’s endeavors in these countries since 2013.

Working with Dr. Sattar was not just a professional research experience but a transformative journey that significantly enhanced my research skills. I learned to identify and utilize reliable sources, evaluate their accuracy, and conduct thorough investigations. This opportunity also broadened my understanding of global affairs, particularly regarding the BRI project and the Chinese government’s substantial investments in these regions, sparking a new passion in me.

As a recruitment intern, I worked closely with the admissions team, making phone calls and scheduling meetings for prospective students pursuing their master’s or doctoral degrees at IWP. This experience provided valuable insights into the Institute’s programs, events, and offerings, enabling me to communicate effectively with potential students.

Throughout my internship, I had the privilege of attending numerous seminars and events hosted by IWP. These experiences not only encouraged me to consider pursuing a master’s degree but also exposed me to a diverse range of ideas and perspectives. As an Intelligence and Security Studies major, I found these interactions particularly enriching, as I had the opportunity to engage with individuals currently working in or retired from government agencies.

One of the most rewarding aspects of my time at the IWP was the exposure to countries and regions often receiving less attention from the United States, such as Africa. This broadened my horizons and deepened my appreciation for the complexities of global affairs.

Overall, my internship at The Institute of World Politics was an invaluable experience. I am grateful for the opportunity to work alongside esteemed professionals, develop my research and recruitment skills, and engage with diverse ideas and perspectives. This experience has undoubtedly enriched my academic and professional development.

Safia Karimi
IWP Intern, Spring 2024
From The Citadel Military College of South Carolina

Learn More About IWP Internships

Safia Karimi and Fellow Interns at the Washington Monument