LinkedIn tracking pixel

Adding and Dropping Classes

Add/Drop Procedure

Students wishing to add, drop, or switch courses must do so by the conclusion of the published add/drop period of the fall and spring semesters. Summer session students wishing to make registration changes must do so before the second class meeting. Students adding and dropping courses must do so through EMPOWER.

Registration via EMPOWER will be disabled at the end of the Add/Drop period.  Any courses that are dropped after these periods are considered withdrawals. Students will receive a grade of “W” on their official IWP record and are subject to the refund policy as outlined in the Withdrawal and Refund policy section of the Catalog.

Students who stop attending classes without officially withdrawing (completing an Add/Drop form, getting the required signatures, and submitting the form to the Registrar’s Office) will be assigned the grade of “F” at the end of the semester. To avoid unnecessary costs and penalties, students are advised to discuss all dropping and adding procedures with an advisor. To receive a full refund (less the required deposit), students must drop classes prior to the second class.

Leave of Absence

A student who wishes to leave the Institute for more than one semester for professional, military, or personal reasons, but who intends to return in a future semester, may request a leave of absence. A Leave of Absence Form must be signed and submitted to the Director of Student Affairs for approval before the student begins the leave of absence. Time limitations for completing the Master’s degree (five years) continue to apply during the leave of absence, but requests for extensions may be considered in exceptional cases. When a student wishes to return, he/she must notify the Registrar no later than two months prior to the start of the semester in which the student intends to enroll.

Withdrawal from the Institute

M.A. and certificate students who wish to withdraw from the Institute must submit the Complete Withdrawal Form: Download file Leave of Absence or Complete Withdrawal Form  to the Director of Student Affairs and complete an exit interview. Students with Title IV student loans will additionally be required to undergo Title IV exit counseling. Students who withdraw forfeit course deposits, and will be subject to the Title IV Return of Title IV Funds policy and IWP’s Refund Policy, as appropriate. If, for any reason, a student wishes to return to the Institute, a signed letter requesting re-admission, along with a $150 fee, must be received by the Admissions Coordinator within five years of the original withdrawal. However, after five years, a student who wishes to return to the Institute must submit a new application package.