LinkedIn tracking pixel

VA Benefit Enrollment Certification

The Institute of World Politics is approved by the District of Columbia State Approving Agency for the enrollment of veterans, service personnel and dependents of deceased or disabled veterans who are eligible for educational benefits under the G.I. Bill. With the exception of VA-approved disabled veterans, all beneficiaries of educational benefits from the Veterans Administration are personally responsible for the payment of their bills to the Institute. These individuals should be financially prepared to pay tuition and fees at the time of registration each semester and to meet all living expenses until VA educational allowances (checks) are received (approximately 60 days).

Step One – Applying for VA Educational Benefits

Students applying for GI Bill® benefits for the first time and who are classified under one of the eligibility statuses as described below must apply for educational benefits online from the VA using VONAPP at

Who is eligible for VA benefits?

Step Two – Receiving Certification from IWP

To be certified for VA benefits, students must complete steps 1 & 2 each semester.

Note:  You must be admitted to an IWP academic program via the Admissions process.

  1. Register for courses through EMPOWER.
  2. Submit a Request for Certification of Enrollment for VA Benefits form. This form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office EACH semester that you intend to use your benefits.
  3. Certificate of Eligibility (COE) – New and transfer students must submit an up-to-date COE be to the Registrar’s Office. Students must obtain their own COE from the VA Website at .

Subsequent certification

Please submit a new Request for Certification of Enrollment for VA Benefits form and indicate that it is an updated form if any of the following changes occur AFTER you’ve submitted your initial form for the semester:

  • Change in enrollment credits (add or drop a course)
  • Change in program of study
  • Change in eligibility status
  • Change in contact information (name, address or phone number)
  • When you receive one of the following grades (W, WP, WF, NA, NR, NS, I or IC)
  • Withdrawing from the semester (dropping all courses)

VA requirement – Students receiving benefits under Chapters 30, 33, 1606 or 1607 must verify enrollment monthly to the VA either by contacting the office at (877) 823-2378 or online (WAVE) and select Verify School Attendance.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at